Join us for Family Weekend! Parents and other family members are invited to attend Family Visiting Day on Saturday, October 16 to learn about their child’s academic program at George School. Learn more about program details and the schedule here. Masks are required indoors for all visitors on campus. An email was sent out to families today with detailed information about the weekend.
Head of School Address. Attend Sam Houser’s Head of School Address in Walton Center or via Livestream from 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. EDT on Saturday, October 16.
Looking for your schedule? Your Advisor Consultation and mini class schedule will be available on the Portal beginning Friday morning at 10:00 a.m. EDT. Please review October grade reports before Saturday in advance of your consultation.
You’re Invited to the Parents Party! The Parents Association is sponsoring a Parents Party during Family Weekend on Friday, October 15 at 6:00 p.m. on campus under the South Tent (near the library). Drinks and light refreshments will be served. RSVP here.
Want to show your George School pride? The School Store in Marshall will be open on Saturday from 9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Stop by to grab some GS spirit wear!
Special Day Schedule Tomorrow. On Friday, October 15 there is a special schedule with an early dismissal for students at 2:15 p.m. who are not involved in sports or evening obligations. All of the Special Days Information is available on the school calendar. Reminder: Fall break begins after a student’s last school commitment on Friday. There are no classes on Monday, October 18. Classes resume on Tuesday, October 19 at 8:15 a.m.
New Parent Zoom Event Tonight! New parents (freshman and sophomore parents) are invited to a Zoom gathering tonight, Thursday, October 14 at 7:00 p.m. to ask questions, build connections, and learn about the GS community through conversations, break-out interest groups, and a Q&A with current families.
Head of School Sessions. Mark your calendars for upcoming meetings with Head of School Sam Houser. On Wednesday, October 20 at 7:00 p.m. parents will hear from Sam and other administrators about academics at George School. This event will be both in-person in the MDA Conference Room and on Zoom. On Thursday, October 21 at 8:30 a.m., there is an International Parent Zoom meeting with Sam. Links for both events will be available soon.
Call for Host Families over Thanksgiving Break. Are you interested in hosting an international student over Thanksgiving Break? We are seeking vaccinated volunteer hosts to care for international students from the evening of November 19 to the morning of November 29. If you are willing to host but only available for part of the break, we would still be eager to hear from you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to volunteer.
Friends Schools Partner for Virtual Seminar. George School is thrilled to partner with Moorestown Friends School, Germantown Friends School, and Newtown Friends School to offer a seminar, Social Trends That Have Impacted Our Children in the Past 20 Years, led by DEIJ consultant Jen Cort on Tuesday, October 19 at 7:00 p.m. RSVP here for the virtual seminar.
Study Hall Information. All students can sign up for evening Study Hall in the MDA library Monday through Thursday 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. The signup form is sent out to all students weekdays at 9:00 a.m. and fills up quickly. Students should bring two hours’ worth of homework with them to the library. If students are in the library for Study Hall, they must walk-in for WASH services (Math Help, the Writing Center, and science and language peer tutoring). If students are not in the library, whether they are in their dorm rooms or at home, they can access WASH services by booking online appointments here.
Student Weekend Activities. View the schedule of student weekend activities.
Admission Open House. Do you know any families interested in joining the George School community? Prospective families and students can learn more about the application and interview process here, and attend a virtual Open House on Sunday, October 24 at 1:30 p.m.
College Counseling Events. Save the dates for these upcoming events!
- On Wednesday, October 20 at 7:00 p.m. Compass Education Group will present The Testing Landscape. Families of sophomores and juniors are invited to attend this virtual event. Register here.
- On Wednesday, October 27 at 7:00 p.m. seniors and their parents/guardians are invited to attend a virtual FAFSA Q & A with a FAFSA expert. We encourage you to create your FSA ID on the FAFSA website before the workshop. The goal of this workshop is to help you through questions that may arise on your FAFSA. There will be a short introduction, and the program will be led by your questions.
Announcements for Juniors and Seniors in IB Courses:
We are currently processing the IB exam registrations for non-diploma students enrolled in IB courses. Although enrollment in some IB courses require students to take IB exams, some courses offer the option to take exams. If students in these optional-exam courses wish to register, they should contact Kim McGlynn (IB Coordinator) and Val Fusco (Registrar).
IB exams will take place in May 2022. The cost for each subject exam is $119 and the deadline for registration is Monday, November 1 after which there are no refunds, and any changes will incur additional costs.
IB Diploma Program (IBDP) Announcements:
CLASS OF 2023
Diploma Program Year 1 (DP1) candidates are being introduced to the IB Core requirements—the Extended Essay (EE), Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS), and Theory of Knowledge (TOK).
- EE: Students’ Prospectus, which includes a research question, outline, and schedule of meetings with their supervisor, is due on Monday, October 25.
- CAS: Students are working on their CAS reflections, which confirm and celebrate their “work” outside of the classroom. The first CAS check is due Friday, November 5 and guidelines will be reviewed in the next meeting.
- IB Meeting: The next required meeting, “IB Core and EE: Focus on the Research Process,” is on Wednesday, October 27. All IBDP meetings are posted to students’ Canvas IB tiles and on the George School calendar.
CLASS OF 2022
- CAS: The last CAS check for 35 reflections was submitted on Wednesday, October 13. The next CAS check is due on Wednesday, November 3. Students who do not submit these checks must immediately contact Kim to ensure that they are on track with this core component, a requirement to earn the IB diploma.
- IB MEETING: Various drop-in hours will be held over the next few months and students are encouraged to contact Kim if they need support navigating this first semester as their IB coursework gets underway. All IBDP meetings are posted to students’ Canvas IB tiles and on the George School calendar.
Join the George School Parents Association Facebook Group (remember to answer the membership question) for updates and sharing ideas.
The Parent Plan-It is designed to inform parents about campus events and deadlines. It is published weekly on Thursdays when school is in session. It is a must-read resource for parents about important dates and school procedures. Please contact editor Katharine Sipio with comments, suggestions, and news at 215.579.6576 or by email at email@example.com.
Recent Parent Plan-It Newsletters
- George School Parent Plan-It: October 14, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: October 7, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: September 30, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: September 23, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: September 16, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: September 9, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: September 2, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: August 26, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: August 19, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: August 11, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: August 5, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: July 29, 2021
- George School Parent Plan-It: July 15, 2021 – Special Edition
- George School Parent Plan-It: June 24, 2021 – Special Edition
Translate this page