Built in 1892–1893, Main is the oldest of the buildings erected specifically for the use of the school, as well as the largest.
George Maris got the school off to a good start assembling a school that opened with 155 students. He was the only administrator, serving as business manager, director of studies, and dean.
George School opens a month later than planned. By the turn of the century, it has a busy, thriving community with many traditions already established.
When the George School Committee begins to search for potential sites for the school’s campus in the early 1890s, convenience to a railroad line is a major consideration.
It is designed to help realize the school mission of offering “that physical, mental, and ethical culture which we have seen producing such excellent results.”
George School gets off to an auspicious start when this wealthy Quaker leaves the bulk of his estate “for the purpose of erecting a boarding school.”