Walton Center Opens

Marking the 400th anniversary of the birth of Shakespeare, the Walton Center opens with a production of The Tempest. The building is named to honor father-son heads of school Joseph (1901–1912) and George Walton (1912–1948). In addition to the stage and seating for 600 (accommodating the entire George School community), the building includes backstage space for scenery, a green room, a costume closet, and prop storage, with music rehearsal and practice rooms downstairs. In 1998, the school adds a dance center to the south side of the building.