OPENING DAYS @ GEORGE SCHOOL
Arrive at George School prepared to start a great new year!
Here’s a quick checklist to make sure you’re all set:
1. Have you completed all of your required registration items?
2. Did you complete your summer assignments on Canvas?
3. Did you complete your Technology Orientation on Canvas?
4. Interested in playing a varsity sport in the fall season? Plan to attend preseason and email the appropriate coach by August 1.
5. All textbooks for the year should be purchased before school starts. Find your customized list here!
6. Boarding students–Check out this list to help you pack.
New Student Orientation (NSO)
NSO is an exciting time for new students as they embark on their journey at GS and runs from August 22-26.
During NSO, students will:
Meet and bond with classmates through fun group activities.
Explore Quakerism through an Essentials of a Friends Community (EFC) mini class.
Learn about the library and helpful resources available at GS.
Build skills to prepare you for your start of high school and life at GS.
Meet student mentors and learn about opportunities to get involved at school.
Get to know our friendly faculty and staff.
Experience the livelihood of campus!
What should you do to prepare for NSO?
Bring a water bottle.
Bring your laptop.
Meals will be provided.
Be ready to dive into your next adventure at GS!
Review key dates for the 2023-2024 school year.
August 2023 Schedule for New & Returning Students
*Parents/guardians and families are invited to attend the events listed in green.
August 17 | Boarding Prefects move in (12:00–2:00 p.m.); training begins for Day and Boarding Prefects
August 19 | International Student Mentors move in (before 12:00 p.m.)
August 20 | Boarding Preseason Athletes move in; preseason day students check in (3:00-5:00 p.m.)
August 21 | New international boarding students move in (3:00-5:00 p.m.)
August 22 | New boarding students move in; Orientation leaders move in; New Student Orientation (NSO) begins
- 8:00-10:45 a.m.: New Boarding Students check in and move-in
- 10:30-11:00 a.m.: New Day Students check in
- 11:00-11:30 a.m.: New family Meeting for Worship
- 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.: New family lunch and advisor meetings
- 1:00-1:30 p.m.: Head of School Welcome
- 1:30-1:45 p.m.: Family goodbyes
- 1:45-4:00 p.m.: New Student Orientation
- 1:45-2:30 p.m.: New Parent and Guardian introduction to key staff
- 2:45-3:30 p.m.: New Parent and Guardian reception
- 4:00 p.m.: New Parents and Guardians depart campus
August 23 | NSO for ALL new students: 8:15 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
August 24 | NSO for ALL new students: 8:15 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
August 25 | NSO for ALL new students: 7:15 a.m. breakfast opens for all students. NSO activities are from 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.; Day students are welcome to stay for dinner and attend evening NSO activities from 6:30-10:00 p.m.
August 26 | NSO for ALL new students: 7:15 a.m. breakfast opens for all students. NSO activities are from 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.; Day students are welcome to stay for dinner and attend evening NSO activities from from 7:30-10:00 p.m.; Returning international boarding students move in; SAT (off campus)**
August 27 | Returning boarding students move in; All-Community programming
- 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.: Returning boarding students move-in (check in at dorm)
- 4:00 p.m.: Whole Community Convocation (all students, families, faculty, and staff encouraged to attend)
- 5:00 p.m.: Community BBQ (all students, families, faculty, and staff encouraged to attend).
💚 August 28 | Term 1 Begins – FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! Returning day students, who have not picked up their cards during preseason or NSO, should pick up their student IDs/Prox Cards at Red Square on the first day of school between 7:45-8:15 a.m.
** Students taking the SAT on August 26, 2023: The August 26 SAT will NOT be offered at George School. Students who are required to be on campus on August 26 (prefects, preseason athletics, NSO leaders) may register to take the SAT at a nearby school (Council Rock North, Neshaminy High School) and will be provided transportation to the test. Only those students required to be on campus for leadership or athletic reasons are permitted on campus. No student is permitted to return to campus early for the sole purpose of taking the SAT test.