A major benefactor of the school and longtime clerk of the George School Committee, William P. Bancroft repeatedly refuses to have a building named after him. Nevertheless, Bancroft Hall, the first building completed after his death (and the first substantial construction project in the twentieth century built without any financial assistance from his family), becomes his permanent monument.
Its second floor is home to the school library from 1931 until 1966, when it moves to its own building, McFeely Library. The vacated space in Bancroft becomes classrooms and the Language Department offices. An original library shelf remains in the first floor offices of the English Department. Today Bancroft is home to English and foreign languages.